Floyd & Violet

Friday 27 February 2015

the independent. violet and floyd couple die holding hands after 67 years of marriage On occasion, I will come across a story that allows me the hope that true love - the everlasting, fairytale kind we grow up believing is out there for us - is within reach. Floyd and Violet are one such story. Played out like a scene from Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook, childhood sweethearts Floyd and Violet Hartwig married in 1947, while Floyd was on leave from the Navy. Becoming inseparable, the pair kept in touch via letters while Floyd was at war, and later settled in California. This month, the couple passed away. They went within five hours of one another. And they were holding hands. Before the passing, and given only two weeks to live, Floyd had told a doctor "I’m OK but I want her fixed" - a fact that warms my heart more than I could possibly express. I'm sharing this as a thank you, Floyd and Violet, for showing me what it can mean to love another, and for showing the world how beautiful and worthwhile a relationship can be once you've found the right person. You truly are an inspiration.

(Full story here. Image via the Hartwig family.)

More in the press: True love in 36 questions.
And something else adorable: Eddie Redmayne's BAFTA speech, which I may never recover from.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Smudgeness (old) © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger